Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Morse Code

In our story Squeak Twice for Yes, Brian says his dog has learned Morse Code and wants him to perform at the science fair. Let's learn a little more about Morse Code.  Watch Man Behind Morse Code

Here are some questions to think about:

Who invented Morse Code?  Who was Alfred Vail? 
Do you think it was fair that Alfred Vail did not get any credit for the invention? 
Have you ever been a situation where you did all the work for something and didn't get the credit? 

Morse Code made it faster for people to communicate in the 1800's.  Instead of waiting days or weeks for a message, they could send a message across the country in a few minutes.  How has communication changed since the invention of the telegraph machine?  Can you think of a similar invention where people send messages instantly using letters? 

Watch the videos below comparing morse code to text messaging.  Before you watch them, predict which one will be faster:  morse code by telegraph or text by cell phone.  Tell your partners which one you think will be faster. 


Were you surprised?  Now watch this video. 

Did this experiment turn out differently?  Why do you think there was different results?  What made the difference?  What do you think would happen if someone else performed a similar test? 

Choose at least 2 of these blog questions to answer.  While one person blogs, the others can fill out the morse code sheet. 

Do you think it was fair that Alfred Vail did not get any credit for the invention? 
Have you ever been a situation where you did all the work for something and didn't get the credit? 
Did you think morse code or texting would be faster? 
Why do you think the results on the two videos were different?

When everyone is finished blogging, check out this morse code translator.  Take turns yping in your name or a simple sentence and see if it matches what you did on the worksheet. 

35 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan here,i think it was not fair for him not to get credit for the invention. I have not been in a situation where i did not get credit for something. I thought texting would be faster. one was about mores code and another one was about who invited it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi it's christian R.I think that's crazy that they didn't give him crdit for what he inventited.It's hard bot cool.And texting is faster than Morse code.I'll be mad if they didn't give me crdit for what I did.The to videos are the same alitte bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Alexxia here!I do not think it's cool that vail did not get any crdit.No ive never seen one befor in my life maby when I was young.I think texting is faster.Because one told us how to do morse code.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi neha here, i don't think it was fair that he didn't get credit for his invenchin. I have not made something and not got credit.I thought tex ting was faster than morse code.They were diffrint because one was about morse code and one was about who invented it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey it's Hailee, I don't think it's fair that Vail didn't get any credit. Yes I have been in a situation like that and it's not fun. I think morse code would be faster. They are different becuase they are on different topics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Brady here. I have been in a situation like the one vail was in. It is very unfair. I also think that texting is faster than morse code.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey everyone Alejandra here.I dont think it was fair to Vail because he did not get credit.No I haven't been in a situation like that before.I thought that sell phones were faster,but really morse code is faster.I don't realy think that there was a difference in all three videos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What up,Brendan is here,I think that it is unfair that Morse got all the credit.I think that texting is faster than morse code.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,Ethan here.I think that it is unfair that vail didn't get credit for inventing morse code.I also think that texting is faster than morse code.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rocco here I think that texting is faster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello this is Nigel and its weard that Vail didnt get the creadit. I knew that morse code was faster.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sup peeps Angela here. I think it was unfair that Vail didnt get any creadit. I know morse code is 25 seconds slower than texting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey its me Erin in some way I think morse code is faster.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi it's sam here I like morse code

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI my name is Christian M. I like the morse code. I feel sad for the person who did not get credet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey it's octavio i think it's not cool that vail did not get cridit for inventing morse code

    ReplyDelete
  17. charlie here i don't think it is fair that vail didn;t get any credit

    ReplyDelete
  18. charie here i think texting is faster

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi this is Quinn I don't think it is fair that Vail didnt get any credit

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi this is Quinn i think texting is faster

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is Brianna here I do not think it was fair at all that Alfred Vail did not get any credit. And I think morse code would be faster than texting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi it's Lauren here. I don't think it was fair that Alfred Vail didn't get any credit. I think texting is faster than morse code because alot of people can text fast. Morse code is cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. cam here i think it texting is faster than mors code.i also think it was unfair that morse got all the cretit

    ReplyDelete
  24. On the second video the reason morse cod was faster because there were professinal morse cod users and there were only teenagers and on the last video the reason text message was faster because the one with the glasses was faster because he did more texting and morse code was slower because he did not use it that much

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi it's Audrey I don't think it's fair that Alfred Vail didn't get credet.And I think that for me texting is easyer than morse code.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think Alfrid Vail should get credet and not Mores. And I think that morse code is faster than texting.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think Alfrid Vail should get some credit and credit and not morse.And I think that texting is faster.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't think that it was fair that Alfred didn't get any credit for doing about most of the work. Yes I have been cought in a situation when I did all the work and my brother took all the credit. And I did a good job!
    Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think he should get some, but he signed his credit away. I think texting is faster.
    Luca

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello its coco and i personaly think texting is faster unless your an expert which not many people are. i think its completely unfair thet Alfred got absoloutley no creidit and morse got rich and famous while Alfred was poor even though he invented morse code.

    ReplyDelete
  31. hi everyone ! i feel bad for alfred because he made the electronic thing and he wasnt mentioned. how come text messaging is faster than morse code in the third video, but slower in the second video? what does "grant" have anything to do with this? WHEN ARE WE MOVING ROTATIONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. i love to text tony

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi,is Brandon I thought texing is faster I guest i'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think that he schould get some credit and texting is faster then morse code in the third, video and went slower in the second video.

    from Fleur

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree with you, Fleur!!!!



    from Rachel

    ReplyDelete