Friday, December 30, 2011

Canyon de Chelly, the setting in Sing Down The Moon

This week we are starting a new book together, Sing Down the Moon by Scott O'Dell.  It tells the story of Bright Morning.  She is a young Navajo girl living with her family in Canyon de Chelly. Bright Morning tends her mother's sheep by herding them to the top of the canyon. 

Watch this video that shows Canyon de Chelly .  Listen closely to answer the following questions.

What is Spider Rock?  How did it get its name?
As you watch, imagine climbing the trails with a herd of sheep. 
You will see a river running through the canyon.  Sing Down the Moon opens with the river thawing.
Who originally lived in the White House ruins?  How long ago?
What people lived in Canyon de Chelly after the Anasazi?
Where did the Navajo people originally come from?  When did they migrate to Arizona?
What was "The Long Walk"?

You may need to watch the video twice to answer the questions.





Go to this website to read more about the legend of Spider Rock.  Check out this website too. 


















The setting is an important part of Sing Down The Moon.  Bright Morning always longs to get back to her home in Canyon de Chelly. 

On the YouReact blog comment, please answer these questions. You will not get credit for this center if you do not answer the question I asked. 

Is there a place that is special to you?  Perhaps you have a favorite city, beach, lake, or home that you cannot wait to spend time in or can't wait to return to.  Where is your special place?   Why is it special to you?  

While you are waiting for your turn to comment: 

Draw a picture of Canyon de Chelly that includes Spider Rock.  Below the picture, retell the legend of Spider Woman and Spider Rock in your own words. 









28 comments:

  1. hi its Quinn my favorite place to be is Michigan beacuse all of my family lives there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ethan here.My favorite place to be is Massachussets because a lot of my friends live there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey its Hailee, My favorite place is Michigan because all of my friends and family live there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi it's Sam, My faveorite place is my room because it's fun and my bed is soft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Coco here and my favorite place aside from home is Disney Land because I love all things Disney exept their channel also it feels magic there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Luca here my favorite place is Florida. I like to go fishing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hay cameronn here my favoriten place is calafornia because i like to go to the beach and i have family in calaforina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello this is Nigel,
    and my favorate place is california.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi this is Christian M. My favorte home is Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi this is Christian R and my favorate place is Honlulu,HI .I want to visit Perl Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hay class! It's Fleur.
    My favorite place is the moutains in a cabin, because they are beautiful and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey erin here my favorite place is califonia because I love the beach!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey its Amy, my favorite place is Hawii because the baeches are fun and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ryan here, my favorite place is Arizona because it is hot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Brandon here, my favorite place is Utah cause its got a lot of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. my special place is my grandma and grandpas house in india because it's were all of our indians terdishons are celibrated.


    by,neha

    ReplyDelete
  17. My special place is at my house because that's were i've always lived.

    by,Adam

    ReplyDelete
  18. my specaial place is my house. I like my house because i was rasid there


    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  19. My speical place is my house because i've lived there for 2 and a half years.


    by,Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  20. My special place is Illinois Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, it's Brady. My special place is mass. because I like playing in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My special place is at a hotel in California.It is a hotel that we stay in every time we go to California.BRIANNA

    ReplyDelete
  23. My special place is in my grandma's sister's house in Barenquilla, Colombia. It's special to me because I love my family.

    Alanna Leung

    ReplyDelete
  24. My special place is San Antonio,Texas because that's where I was born. I grew up there. That's my special place!

    Lauren Baptista

    ReplyDelete
  25. My special place is Phoenix,Arizona because I've lived there since I was born.


    stavan

    ReplyDelete
  26. MY special place is Illinois,Rocco

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi everyone.Audrey here.My special place is at my grandparents house.I like my grandparents house because they have a really big house and naborhood.Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi
    This is Neha's Ma! My all time-till I live, favorite place will be INDIA. I was born and raised in India-I have all my lovely memories growing up as a kid and adult in India with my family and friends. I use to travel a lot with my parents and always had wonderful time. Every State/City had a different attraction. Food/Culture/Architect/Lifestyle/Language everything is different!!! It's just awesome !!! I miss my INDIA very very much!!!

    ReplyDelete